Friday, October 18, 2013

You Know You're an Exchange Student in Germany When...


  • your diet mainly consists of carbs *cough* bread *cough* 
  • you drink more apple juice than you do water
  • you have fresh bread with an assortment of cheeses and deli meats every night for dinner
  • your main way of communicating with people is nodding and smiling when they speak to you in German because you have no idea most of what they said 
  • you don't have a clue what's going on in school and have accepted that you probably won't get any credits at your American high school
  • you're tired all the time
  • you walk/bike/take public transportation everywhere
  • you get lost a lot
  • all the stores, except some bakeries, are closed on Sundays 
  • you have no hope of ever understanding German grammar or ever being able to use it correctly 
  • Ritter Sport chocolate is your life
  • other exchange students are like family
  • the middle of October is as cold as the middle of winter at home and you have still not accepted that it's going to get even colder
  • there are pharmacies everywhere, like at least 1 on every street in downtowns 
  • people just call you the American
  • you still can't get used to being able to drink beer and wine

The list could go on and on and I'm sure there are many things I have forgotten. Also, I have some big news, I have just received my new host family! In December, I will be moving to Berlin! I am so excited! Berlin is the capital of Germany and is also it's largest city (3.5 million people, wow) and it looks absolutely beautiful! I will have a host mom and a host dad and three host siblings, a 16 year old sister, a 15 year old sister, and a 12 year old brother! Even though I am very excited for my upcoming adventures in Berlin it will be very sad to leave the family I am in now. I love them so much and I am so incredible grateful for everything they have done for me. Because they took me in on such short notice they were only a temporary family until December. They have made me feel so welcome and at home here even though it was only for a couple of months and for that I will be forever thankful. 

4 comments:

  1. hi..dani,,nice to know you through this blog:) I am searching about exchange in Germany then I found you blog..nice blog,,I am from Indonesia:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, dani! i am an american from illinois (saint louis area) and i would love to know about the scholarship you got and different things about being an exchange student. i plan on going the 2015-2016 school year (my senior year) and i would love to know more about the program before i decide officially :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dani,

    Such a brill post that you have written!! I'd love to find out more on what you have experienced on your language exchange trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Splitting expenses with roommates is a good way to limit your housing costs. If you rent a large house, you may be able to live with several roommates, reducing your living expenses considerably.

    Student accommodation in Edge Apartments

    ReplyDelete